Ed Domansky is an accomplished professional in the communications business. He has worked for major corporate brands, handling media relations, public relations, government relations and internal communications. He also has been a member of the news media.
Ed is adept at working with all levels of staff, from C-suite executives, managers and business unit personnel in field offices globally to governors and state agency heads.
His experience in large, complex and decentralized corporate environments, associations and in state government, coupled with his training and experience as a lawyer, journalist and public relations professional, allow him to hit the ground running from the strategic thinking level to the actual “getting-it-done-right” level.
Ed is a strong writer/editor, expert in Associated Press style and well versed in adapting communications to the needs and interests of their intended audiences. Brand-building, community/customer relations, issues management and crisis management come second nature.
Ed has counseled the Florida insurance commissioner through a long, contentious public/legislative debate on property insurance that included a request by a state senator for the commissioner’s resignation.
He has helped successfully manage communications related to:
- Preparing a senior executive for a “60 Minutes” interview tied to product issues and associated litigation;
- a $1.2 billion class-action verdict against State Farm Insurance for its use of after-market auto parts;
- BlueCross BlueShield Plan conversions to for-profit status;
- attacks by the Service Employees International Union (and former Illinois Sen. Barack Obama) against hospital billing and collection practices of the largest hospital and healthcare system in Illinois;
- transportation service issues raised by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority and its board of directors related to LogistiCare’s handling of the DC-area’s MetroAccess program.
When not dealing with a client’s crisis, Ed is adept at (and appreciates!) the basic blocking and tackling of the PR discipline, from strategically focused press releases to story pitching to building relationships with key reporters. He is proficient in the use of both social media and traditional technologies to communicate key messages to all audiences.
As a corporate spokesperson Ed has been quoted in major publications, including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Washington Post, USA TODAY, Chicago Tribune, The Miami Herald, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine, CNNMoney and numerous business trade publications. He also has appeared many times in live and recorded interviews on TV and radio. And his 12 years of TV news broadcast production “insider” experience – as a videographer, editor, producer and writer – don’t hurt either.
While Ed thrives under pressure and on tight deadlines, he also lives to craft, pitch and sell a brand story that isn’t always “on fire.”
Ed earned a bachelor’s degree in psychology from the University of Notre Dame, and he holds a juris doctorate degree from the University of Toledo College of Law.